With its multifunctional features, the McAfee antivirus application is surely one of the favorites among antivirus users. However, it has been causing glitches with uninstallation lately.
You may need to uninstall your Antivirus for several reasons and when McAfee won’t uninstall as is reported by a number of users, the situation is really frustrating.
This problem can be caused due to various reasons including missing or corrupt registry files, Windows firewall, conflict with some other security software, etc.
Also Read: How to Uninstall McAfee
McAfee won’t uninstall on Windows 10: Fixes to Try
Before moving on to the solutions, first, you need to restart the device. Sometimes, restarting the system can solve various issues that you encounter.
After restarting the device, check if the problem persists or not. If you find the problem still bothering you then you can try the other procedures listed below.
Procedure 1 – Start the System in Safe Mode
The first thing that you should do is to start the system in safe mode. If you do not know how to do that, then follow the directions given below.
- Click on the Start icon and then click on the Power icon.
- Hold the Shift button and then select the Restart option.
- When the system restarts, you’ll find the Choose an option window will appear on the screen. Select Troubleshoot.
- Thereafter, choose the Advanced options from the Troubleshoot window and then click on Startup Settings.
- In the Startup Settings window, click on the Restart option.
- Once the system restarts, a list will appear. Select the Safe Mode with Networking button by pressing the F5 button from the keyboard.
- Now the device will start into safe mode. After performing these steps, try to remove the McAfee antivirus application on Windows 10.
Procedure 2 – End the Background Process of McAfee Antivirus Application
Sometimes, if the background process of the McAfee antivirus application is running then you may find that McAfee won’t uninstall on Windows 10. So, you should end the background process of the McAfee antivirus application from the Task Manager. The following steps will help you do that.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons together to open the Task Manager window.
- When you are in the Task Manager window, navigate to the Processes tab and look for the McAfee antivirus application, select it.
- Thereafter, click on the End Task option to stop the process.
- After ending the process, reboot your computer and then uninstall the McAfee antivirus application.
Procedure 3 – Disable the Windows Defender Firewall Feature
The Windows Firewall can also prevent the McAfee antivirus application from uninstalling. So, before uninstalling the McAfee antivirus application, you need to disable it.
- Press the Win + X buttons at the same time to launch the WinX menu list and then from there, select Control Panel.
- From the Control Panel window, go to the Windows Firewall section and then click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall On and Off option on the left panel.
- On the right, tick on the box next to the Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall option from both Public Network Settings and Private Network Settings sections.
- Then click on the Save Changes option to disable it.
- After that, restart the Windows 10 computer and then try uninstalling the McAfee antivirus application.
Procedure 4 – Using the Windows Registry Editor
- Press the Windows Logo button and R key to open the Run dialog box.
- Type Regedit and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- When you are in the Registry Editor window, go to the following folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> McAfee Security folder.
- Right-click on it and then select the Delete option from the menu list.
- Once you are done with these steps, reboot the device and then check if you can uninstall McAfee now.
Procedure 5 – Uninstall another Security Software
If you have installed some other security software on your computer then you probably will be unable to uninstall the McAfee antivirus application from your computer. Therefore, you should uninstall it at the earliest. Perform the following steps:
- Press the Start button and I key to launch the Settings window.
- Go to the Apps section and then select the Apps & Features tab.
- In the Apps & Features tab, scroll down the page and look for the security software that is installed on your computer.
- After that, select it and then click on the Uninstall button.
- Once the uninstallation process is done, restart the Windows 10 PC.
Procedure 6 – Remove the Junk and Temporary Files
Removing the junk and temporary files can also help you fix the situation when McAfee won’t uninstall from your computer. Here are some steps that you can follow:
- Press the Win + R keys to launch the Run box.
- Type %temp% and then click on the OK button.
- From the Temporary folder, select all the items and then right-click on it.
- Thereafter, select the Delete option to remove them.
Procedure 7 – Run the System File Checker Tool
Running the System File Checker tool can also resolve this issue on the device. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt window.
- Type SFC/scannow and then press the Enter button to run this command.
- Once executed, reboot your system.
Frequently Ask Questions
How do you completely Uninstall McAfee Antivirus Application on Your PC?
- Hit the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
- Go to the Programs & Features section from the Control Panel window.
- Look for the McAfee antivirus application, right-click on it and then choose the Uninstall option to remove it.
How do you Uninstall McAfee using the Command Prompt?
- Launch the Run box.
- Type the following commands and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- “c:\Program Files\McAfee\Agent\x86\frminst.exe” /forceuninstall
- “c:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\x86\frminst.exe” /forceuninstall
- Go to the folder where McAfee is installed on your PC, select all the items of the McAfee and then delete them.
- Reboot your PC.