Given the fact that Kaspersky is undoubtedly one of the best antiviruses, yet it is not completely error-free. Kaspersky Installation Error is one such drawback of this software. It occurs mainly while setting up the software. Kaspersky asks for a reboot to continue with the action and when you do so, a message flashes saying “installation ended prematurely because of an error”. In case you are also stuck with the same issue, this article can be of help.
This article will guide you through the exact causes of Kaspersky installation problem along with the solutions so that you get a brief insight and resolve the glitch on your own.
Common Symptoms of Kaspersky Installation Error
There are some signs related to the installation error of Kaspersky. If you see any of the following symptoms, then you have encountered this issue.
- Kaspersky fails to download or install and the error 1603 pops up saying “A fatal error has occurred during installation”.
- A notification pops up on the screen saying “installation ended prematurely because of an error”.
- Your device freezes all of a sudden during installing Kaspersky.
- A blank or black screen appears during rebooting your device while installation.
Causes and Effective Fixes for Kaspersky Installation Error
An installation error occurs due to several reasons. And the fixes significantly depends on the causes of the error. So, at first, let’s take a look at the causes and then move to the fixes.
- In case you had Kaspersky antivirus in your device in the past and some of those programs files along with Registry Keys are present.
- Another security software or the inbuilt antivirus of Windows OS is present in your device.
- Malware or virus affection.
- Stored system cache files or HOSTS files.
Method 1: Removing the Leftover Registry Key
Registry Keys are created when you install software in your device. In case you have installed Kaspersky previously and the Registry Keys are not properly deleted, then the installation error can occur. In case you find any such Registry Keys, then remove them entirely in order to fix the issue. So, to remove a key called avp**_post_uninstall from the registry, go through the steps mentioned below:
- At first, either hold Windows Key + R or go to Start> Run and then type ‘Regedit’. Next, click on OK.
- In the next step, go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run”.
- Now, search for the avp**_post_uninstall Registry Key by expanding the Run dialogue box.
- Next, click on the avp**_post_uninstall key and select the option ‘Delete’.
- Afterward, proceed to install the Kaspersky application and hopefully, you will get rid of the error message during the installation.
This is indeed a simple and quick fix you can try. In case there is no such Registry Key present in your device, then try the other methods.
Method 2 – Eliminate Other Security Applications
In case you have any other security software present in your device, either third-party or in-built, this error can occur. Consequently, it can interrupt the installation. So, the best thing you can do is uninstall other security programs and then try to install Kaspersky again.
- Open Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Then, expand the Programs and Features option by clicking on it.
- Under that section, look for any other antivirus, including Windows Defender.
- If there is any, then click on the software and select Uninstall.
This will remove the antivirus from your device. Hopefully, it will work well to eliminate Kaspersky installation error effectively. If not, then try the next hack.
Method 3: Clear the System Cache and Junk Files
Sometimes stored system cache and junk files occupy a certain amount of space. Thus, resulting in Kaspersky install error. So, you can clear the cache along with junk files and try to install Kaspersky again. To do so,
- Firstly, open Command Prompt.
- Then, navigate to “C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore”.
- Locate the file named INFCACHE.1 and select on the Take Ownership option which you will get by right-clicking on it.
- Now, open the Disk Cleanup from the Taskbar.
- Then, locate the option Files to Delete and check the boxes which according you are junk or unnecessary.
- Finally, click OK to complete the task.
After this, try to install Kaspersky antivirus again and check if the error still persists. If the Kaspersky installation error is still bothering you, then you can fix the HOSTS files and Registry. But it is a quite risky task, especially if you are not enough technologically sound. In case you find it difficult or have no clue how to go about, you can drop a comment.