Windows Defender is an excellent feature of Windows 10 which provide in-built security for the Operating System and prevents it from virus and malware. However, from time to time, it also shows several major and minor errors. Usually, these glitches occur due to another antivirus tool that prevents the Windows Defender from working properly. Therefore, while using Defender, users receive an unknown error code such as Windows Defender Error 577. When users randomly receive this error, they are not able to allow the virus protection on Windows 10 using the Defender. This error mostly shows as follows “Error 577: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.”
Therefore, if you are looking for some reliable solutions for this issue then, stay on this page. You will surely find an accurate solution which will help you in resolving this particular error.
Possible Reasons for Windows Defender error 577 Windows 10
Actually, there can be a variety of factors responsible for such Windows Defender errors. But, most of the time, such an issue occurs due to other security software which is causing fluctuations. Thus, if you have another antivirus software, it can conflict with each other and ultimately results in such kind of Windows defender service error 577 appears. In such situations, you should uninstall that conflicting program. Now, take a look below in the section as we have mentioned here some issues related to Windows Defender that the users mostly encounter.
- Windows Defender turned off by group policy: Sometimes, for some certain reason the Windows Defender can be turned off or disabled. Under this situation, it shows Windows Defender error 577. Many users have also reported this same issue.
- Can’t start Windows Defender error 577: If you are having a hard time with this glitch then, you will not be able to start the Windows Defender. In that case, it is recommended you to restart the Windows Defender service and see if this process helps.
- Windows Defender digital signature error 577: It is another potential variation of this problem. Whenever you face such error you can easily deal with this issue by following below mentioned fixes.
Troubleshoot and Fix Windows Defender Error 577 Effectively
Windows Defender error 577 Windows 10 occurs while you try to start a service related to the Windows Defender which is completely unpredictable. However, if you want to resolve this particular error, then you should know the proper fix. Thus, we recommend you to go through the below-mentioned fixes which might resolve such kind of error. Until any solution able to solve your situation, you can try out the below-mentioned solutions one-by-one in order to eliminate this error from Windows 10.
Fix 1: Change the Registry
Most of the users have reported that just by changing a few values, the error code 577 gets eliminated. Thus, you can also try out this process as this works for many users. But before that, in case, anything goes wrong, it is recommended you to create a complete backup of the registry. Now, in order to change the registry entries, you need to follow the steps below:
- At first, press the Windows + R function keys, then in the search box enter “regedit”.
- Now, click on the Ok button or press the Enter key.
- After that, you need to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender key that is present in the left pane.
- Now, search for DisableAntiVirus and DisableAntiSpyware DWORD. Once you find it, just reset their value as 1. Otherwise, you can also set the value as 0. To do so, you need to double-tap on the registry entries and reset the data value.
- Once you perform this action, simply click on the OK button to save the new changes.
Fix 2: Reset Security Permissions in Your Registry
After changing the registry, if the error still persists, then you can reset the security permissions in your registry for resolving this issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- Primarily, open the Registry Editor and then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender key which is present in the left pane.
- Once you are done, just right-click on the key and select the Permissions button that is in the menu.
- Now, go to the Advanced tab, where you have to hit the Add button.
- Then, search the Select A Principal option and click on it.
- Next, follow the on-screen instructions in order to reset the security permissions in your registry.
These are the most reliable fixes that you can try whenever you find such Windows Defender related issues. If by following the above troubleshooting steps, you fail to fix Windows Defender Service Error 577, then it is advised to get in touch with a professional. They will undoubtedly help you in eliminating this critical error.