Avast is the most popular antivirus that is most suitable for Windows 10. It protects your system from harmful any kind of virus attacks. However, millions of users have claimed that they encounter Avast background service is not running error message while using it.
Most of the time, if the startup type is set to automatic, Avast antivirus might stop working. Also, if the Avast Shields controls are enabled, you have not updated your Avast antivirus, then you might have to deal with the error.
Hence resolve this annoying error with some easy hacks to prevent future problems.
Reliable Hacks to Fix Avast Background Service Not Running Issue
Here are the solutions that you can try out to fix the Avast background service not running windows 10 issues on your own.
Solution 1: Perform a Smart Scan
Smart Scan is one of the most useful features of the Avast. This feature helps to scan and protect your device from all kinds of malware.
So if you are dealing with Avast not working error, then it is recommended to run this feature. For that, perform the following instructions:
- In the beginning, navigate to the System tray. Now, search for the avast icon and open the Avast user interface.
- After that, right-click on the icon and select the Open option from the context menu.
- On the next page, proceed to the left column and tap on the Protection option.
- Furthermore, choose the Scans option from all the available options.
- In addition, tap on the Smart Scan option. Wait for a while as the scanning procedure might take some time to complete.
- After completion of the scanning procedure, simply check the status result. If you notice a green checkmark beside the scanned area, it means there is no issue.
- However, if you notice a red mark, then it means that more that one issue has been found. In such a scenario, simply tap on the Resolve option.
When finished, tap on the Done option. Next exit from the page and restart your device correctly. Check the error status and if the Avast application still not working, proceed to the next fixing technique.
Solution 2: Upgrade Avast to its Latest Version
Millions of users have experienced the same error and after updating the Avast to its best-recommended to version, they can quickly get rid of it. Hence, it is recommended to upgrade the Avast antivirus.
To do so, at first, double-click on the Avast icon and open it. Furthermore, open the File Explorer. From there, move to the C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ directory.
Here, find out and run the AvastEmUpdate.exc file. Wait for some time and let the procedure to complete. When finished, reboot your Windows 10 and see if the error still persists or not.
Else, you can easily open the Setting application. Within the Settings app, scroll down and choose the Apps option. This will open a new page. Here, locate and click on the Apps & Features option.
Under the Apps& Features, go to the right panel and select the Avast Free Antivirus option. Furthermore, choose the Modify option. In case a confirmation message appears on the screen, tap on the Yes button.
Navigate to the Avast application windows and then tap on the Update option. After completion of the updating procedure, restart your computer and if you are still dealing with the same issue, try out the next solution.
Solution 3: Startup Type Automatic
To perform the task, at first, click on the Start menu and type ‘services.msc’ within the search bar. Don’t forget to hit the Enter key.
Now, double-click on the first search results in order to open the Services window. With in the Service window, choose the Avast antivirus. Next, you should open the Avast antivirus protection window. Furthermore, set the Startup type to automatic.
Reboot your system in order to take the effect of the changes. Once your computer has been successfully booting up, check if the Avast antivirus works normally or not.
Solution 4: Turn Off Avast Shields Control
So, all the above three solutions are unable to fix the error. Then, probably disabling the Shields control can help you fix the error. In order to do so, at first, go to the System tray and find out the Avast icon.
Next, right-click on it and choose Avast Shield Control from the list of options. Now, click on the slider option. This will disable the shields. Then, you should set the time duration for which you wish to turn off the Avast Shields control.
Finally, reboot your computer and check whether the Avast antivirus is working on the background or not.
Solution 5: Uninstall the XNA
XNA tools have been introduced by Microsoft. This can be used for video game development. However, sometimes due to this, Avast antivirus might stop working.
In such a scenario, uninstall the XNA. To implement the task, perform the following.
- In the beginning, log in as an administrator as you are unable to uninstall the XNA from other accounts.
- Furthermore, go to the Settings section of your device. Within the Settings, tap on the Apps option. Instantly, all the installed application will appear on the screen.
- From there, find out the XNA and next select the Uninstall option.
- Now, a confirmation dialogue box will pop up on the screen. Click on yes for confirmation.
When finished, restart your machine and check if the issue has been resolved or not.
Solution 6: Reinstall the Avast Antivirus
This is the last solution that you can try out to fix the background error. To do so, at first, you should navigate to the Apps and Features section of your computer.
From the list of options, choose the Avast Free antivirus. Then, uninstall it. After completion of the uninstalling procedure, visit the official website of the Avast and from there download the latest version of the Avast antivirus.
Finally, reboot your computer and after this, the issue will be resolved.